Wednesday, September 3, 2008

It was the first day of Ramadhan. I woke up that morning, for the second time, after waking up for sahur. I stayed in bed for quite a while, gazing at my dirty ceiling (where house lizards pass by every now and then), wondering what I was gonna do for the rest of the day. I mean, with my ps2 not working at all, I have nothing to do for the rest of the day. Except for, of course, sleeping.

And that’s what I did in the afternoon. It’s just amazing how you seem to travel hours ahead when you’re sleeping, when you’re only experiencing a short story of your own in your sleep.

An hour plus before sungkai and my stomach was already grumbling. I was hungry, very. My stomach has not yet adapted to not being filled with food. Then my dad came into my room and said,

“lakastah dangani Ayah ke Tamu Gadong”

Notice it was not a question. I had no choice. Plus, I thought it might help speed up the time.

During Ramadhan, Tamu Gadong is like the food mall of Brunei, except for all the smokes that suffocates the air we breathe in, the noise of the machines extracting sugarcane juice and instead of being crammed by poklens, the Tamu is overflowed by dudes in topi haji.

As my dad was getting air puspa, I went alone to get myself some tongkeng ayam. Mmm, there’s nothing like chicken’s ass; juicy and delicious. Mrawr. So I headed my way to this one foodstall, which was somehow cleaner than the others. The stallholder, too, looks rather unique.
his voice captured people’s attention as he shouted,

“tonkeng Hakim tonkeng Hakim! Secucuk enam jubur ayam, enam jubur ayam seringgit! Nyaman ni nyaman”

So I approached him.

“Paji(pak cik), minta ku tongkeng lima ringgit ah”

With that he replied like a straight up hoe from the block, hand on his waist, putting on a bitchy look on his face,

“exxxcuse me?!? Did u just call me Paji?? I so am not Paji-ish boii. Im gonna let you off with a warning since it’s the first day of puasa, but call me that again and I’ll gladly shove these chicken asses up your stinkin’ nose, you feel me?”

Hearing that, I nearly wet my pants and just kept quiet in fear. We then exchanged five bucks for the tongkengs.

“thank you, umm.. homie” I said.

and all he did was roll his eyes at me before resuming to shouting at the crowd.
I then went to my dad who got lots more than just air puspa. We went home shortly after that and enjoyed sungkai. Nothing is better than eating tongkeng after fasting for onwe whole day without being able to pick your nose.

Im out,
siNajibberpuasa.

Ps: SELAMAT BERPUASA

Pps: ada gambar urang hensem that I’d like to share:
kann.. apa nyangkuuu